New Year Resolutions are common and I never understood waiting until the end of the year to revisit your goals. I revisit goals for personal and professional growth regularly. Luckily we have Labor Day to make us New Yorkers feel like we are all going back to school and we can revisit what we want to accomplish between now and the holiday rush.
- Start with a canvas – a blank page
- Define what you want
- Share with your brain trust
- Define and commit to how you want to accomplish these goals
- Apply deadlines!
- What do you want to achieve in 18 months?
- What is the long-term dream goal?
Work on answering these questions with what you know today and you can continuously define what it is you are working towards. I know I have done so on my journey thus far and learning is certainly part of it.
- Do you like your role today? Is it challenging? Are you learning?
- How could it be better? What do you control to improve your current situation? What do you have to change to improve your overall position that is out of your immediate control?
- Do you want to continue in your current role? Do you want to change careers?
- What skills do you want to acquire? What skills do you want to strengthen?